Here are some of my favourites:
1. It's only incest when theres a health riskAIG are happy to claim that the sons of adam must have taken their own sisters as wives. I'm not exaggerating this, they make this claim plainly and dont see any reason to justify it or hide it. Their argument is that there was no law against incest until the Mosaic covenant, after god supposedly saved the slaves.
So apparently up till that time it was fine to marry close family members. AIG goes on to say that the only reason the rule against incest was introduced was to "protect offspring from mutations shared by both parents".
The article in question even lists all the other times in the bible people married sisters, half brothers, nieces, and cousins.
2. Lies, truth and the literal bibleAIG will argue to the cows come home that when the bible says day it means day, 24hours, no negotiation. They are also pretty dead set on the fact that god and Jesus do not lie... at all... ever. In fact they claim that god cannot lie.
This is interesting because the Genesis 2:17 says
"and of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou dost not eat of it, for in the day of thine eating of it -- dying thou dost die."This is according to the most literal translation possible. God told Adam he would die the same day he ate the forbidden fruit... What went wrong?
Remember: the bible is literal truth, day means day, and god is not capable of being wrong or lying.
3. Its our fault people dieWhen the question of evil gets raised AIG makes it clear that god made the universe perfect, not just god, not just really really good, but perfect.
Adam stuffed it up, he went against god and ruined it for all of us, but we cant blame Adam because we are all just as flawed (people in glass universes huh?)
But they skip over a really obvious contradiction here. God can make things perfect, Jesus was perfect so according to their own doctrine god can make a perfect man... So what happened with Adam? First draft? Couldn't get the right parts?
At this point in the argument you will hear "free will" thrown in, but this again fails by their own evidence, the whole thing with Jesus at the garden of Gethsemane shows that he had free will to make choices and made the right one (because he was perfect remember?)
The next come back here is the serpent.. the serpent made it happen! But that just leads us back to the same question: How did a perfect universe get such a creature in it?
Of course god doesn't make mistakes thats why when he flooded the world to destroy all evil it worked perfectly and we live total peace and harmony... right?
4. Born of sinOne of the big things in christianity is that we are all born of sin, but a literal interpretation of the bible proves that god had no problem with Adam and Eve making the pitter patter of little feet.
Specifically Genesis 1:28 says
"And God blesseth them, and God saith to them, `Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over fish of the sea, and over fowl of the heavens, and over every living thing that is creeping upon the earth."(Notice this happens before god mentions anything about the fruit... Also try to ignore the word "replenish" indicating that the earth had already had life on it.)
So god was down with the whole procreation thing, and the assumption of incest it carries when two people are ordered to fill the earth by themselves.
What then was original sin? Disobedience. It was not that we had sex, god had been expecting that, after all he made the equipment, no it was the crime of making a mistake.
5. God gave up so much for usThe cost of love is a pivotal point for christians... Jesus gave up so much.. which is why he is now sitting by the side of god destined to live for eternity in heaven.
Hold the phone...
Thats meant to be the greatest reward imaginable right? What did he lose again?
Oh thats right he suffered more than any man has ever suffered by getting beaten and dying on the cross. Of course he just died on the cross pretty much right after they put him up, the other guys they put up get the same kind of treatment but had a nice relaxing three or four days to die of thirst and exposure... obviously they took the easy way out.
AIG refers to the sacrifice of Jesus as a "no strings attached" kind of love. Thats why we're all saved without having to do anything like worship Jesus right? Rats... there goes that pesky bible getting in the way again.
Next time god wants a bible written he should check with Ken Ham first to make sure they get the details right.
Correcting the AIG website would be more than a full time job because it takes much less time to come up with badly reasoned arguments that it does to come up with well reasoned ones. Plus of course we all need to look at the evidence and figure out the truth, whereas AIG start off thinking they already know the answers...
Blind faith is soooo much easier than thinking.